Department of Physics
|1.||Dr. Chandan Bhardwaj||Associate Professor||View|
|2.||Ms. Neelam Kumari||Associate Professor||View|
|3.||Ms. Jyotsna||Associate Professor||View|
Mr. Prashant Sharma
Mr. Lavli Rana
Mr. Suresh Kumar
Dr. Rohit Sandal
Programme Name: M.Sc. Physics
Number of Semesters: 4
- Knowledge: Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of core concepts, theories, and principles in physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, statistical mechanics, and thermodynamics.
- Mathematical Proficiency: Utilize advanced mathematical methods, such as calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and mathematical analysis, to formulate and solve complex physics problems.
- Critical Thinking: Apply logical reasoning and critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate physical phenomena, theories, and experimental results. Formulate hypotheses, design experiments or simulations, and draw valid conclusions based on evidence.
- Computational and Modeling Skills: Apply computational methods, numerical techniques, and computer simulations to solve physics problems, model physical systems, and analyze complex data sets.
- Research Methodology: Demonstrate proficiency in research methodologies, including literature review, data collection, analysis, and interpretation. Plan and execute research projects, develop research proposals, and communicate research findings effectively.
- Communication Skills: Communicate scientific ideas, theories, and research findings effectively through oral presentations, written reports, scientific papers, and other appropriate mediums. Adapt communication style to suit both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Interdisciplinary Perspective: Recognize the interdisciplinary nature of physics and its connections to other scientific disciplines. Collaborate effectively with professionals from diverse backgrounds to solve complex problems and contribute to interdisciplinary research.
Programme Specific Outcomes
- Advanced Knowledge: Acquire an in-depth understanding of the fundamental concepts, principles, and theories of physics, including classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, electronics, statistical mechanics, and material science.
- Experimental Skills: Develop proficiency in conducting experiments, using laboratory equipments, and analyzing experimental data. Gain hands-on experience in various experimental techniques, measurement methods, and data analysis tools relevant to physics.
- Problem-solving Abilities: Enhance problem-solving skills by applying theoretical concepts, mathematical techniques, and analytical reasoning to solve complex physics problems. Develop the ability to critically analyze problems, propose hypotheses, and formulate appropriate solutions.
- Computational Skills: Develop computational skills necessary for modeling and simulation in physics. Gain proficiency in using computational tools, programming languages, and software packages to perform numerical calculations, data analysis, and simulations in various areas of physics.
- Research Aptitude: Cultivate research skills and an aptitude for scientific inquiry. Learn to critically review scientific literature, identify research gaps, formulate research questions, design experiments or simulations, collect and analyze data, and draw meaningful conclusions.
- Communication and Presentation: Enhance oral and written communication skills to effectively convey scientific concepts, research findings, and complex ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences. Develop the ability to prepare scientific reports, present research findings, and participate in scientific discussions and conferences.
The courses you will learn during this three year course is:
|First Year||COMP101TH||34||Project + Lab work|
|COMP102TH||23||Project + Lab work|
|COMP202TH||19||Project+ Lab work|
|COMP203TH||23||Project + Lab work|
|Third Year||COMP301TH||28||Lab work|
Detail of IT infrastructure of individual department
- Two Computer Lab with 20 computers, 2 printers and UPS backup of 14 hours
- One Smart Classroom with state-of-art interactive panel
- Dedicated Internet facility(10 MBPS)
List of meritorious students in academics
- Anuj Kumar,2018-21, 10th position in HP University
List of students qualifying GATE, GRE, NET, Etc.
- Srijan Sharma,2020-23, Qualified GATE
- Chandan Thakur,2015-18,Qualified JNU Entrance Examination for PhD
- Deepak Chopra, 2014-17, Coast Guard Assistant Commandment
Hand-on activities or field trips
Field trip to Govt. Polytechnic College Hamirpur on 14/02/2020
55 students of BSc 2nd year undertook one day field trip to Govt. Polytechnic Hamirpur for hand-on practice on “Electrical Circuits and Network Skill” and “Physics Workshop Skill”. The students were given exposure of different techniques such as lathe, welding, casting, metal sheet cutting, etc. The Prof Neelam Guleria, Prof Ravi Dutt coordinated the trip and accompanied the students.
Training Workshop at Govt. Polytechnic College Hamirpur on 14/12/2022
Prof Neelam Guleria and Prof Prashant Sharma organized a training workshop at Govt Polytechnic College Hamirpur in which 82 students participated. Besides demonstration of working of lathe, welding, casting, metal sheet cutting, electronics kits, etc., the students also got opportunity to do some hand-on activities.
Field trip of MSc 4thSem students to NIT Hamirpur on 12/05/2023
Under the guidance of Prof Neelam Guleria and Prof Jyotsna, a field trip of 24 students of MSc 4thsemester was organized to the Department of Physics, Department of Electronics and Department of Material Science of NIT Hamirpur to explore the novel ideas for the project works to be undertaken in 4th semester. Apart from enrichment of ideas, the students were also benefited by the demonstration of XRD, PLD, FESEM, etc.
List of Seminar/Workshops organized by individual department
Institutional Seminar on National Science Day on 28/02/2019:
One day seminar was organized to commemorate the science day. The event was presided by by Dr H S Jamwal, Principal, in the presence of special attendee Dr Kuldeep Sharma, Associate Professor, Department of Physics, NIT Hamirpur. Apart from paper presentation by students, the events such as declamation, quiz, cultural activities were also organized. Prof Neelam Guleria coordinated the event.
Institutional Seminar on National Science Day on 28/02/2020:
Dr Anju Batta Sehgal, Principal, presided over the function in which events such as paper reading, poster making, project presentation and science quiz were organized. This event took place in the graceful presence of special guest Prof Mukesh Kumar Seth, Department of Bio-sciences, HPU. Prof Neelam Guleria along with other faculty members of science faculty organized the event.
Institutional Seminar on Science Day on 28/02/2022
Dr Ashwani Rana Associate Professor Department of Electronics NIT Hamirpur was invited as special guest on the eve of National Science Day function which was presided over by Dr Anju Batta Sehgal. On this occasion the students presented their papers and participated in poster making, model presentation and quiz. The event was organized by the faculty of Physics Department under the guidance of Prof Neelam Guleria.